100 Reasons to have a kid. 4 million not to.

100 Reasons to have a kid. 4 million not to.

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Santa ridiculousness

I know this is supposed to be a blog about my son and my life as a new mom. But I just read something that I feel compelled to comment on. Apparently, in Australia Santa's can no longer say "ho ho ho" but must say "ha ha ha" instead (article located here http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071115/wl_asia_afp/lifestyleaustraliachristmasoffbeat). The reasoning is that "ho ho ho" may be seen as degrading to women since "ho" is a derogatory slang term for a prostitute in the US. Why Australia is worried about what the US says, I'll never know. Especially since Santa's here are still free to say the dreaded "ho" word. As a liberal and a feminist I'm usually all for political correctness to make sure that no one is inadvertantly offended. But this is going too far. "Ho ho ho" has always been what Santa said. He did not say it originally to be offensive to women. Therefore, I think it should stay. Censorship/political correctness should be used to right past wrongs and past derogatories. It should not be used for imaginative things. I've never heard a woman complain that Santa's calling her a "ho". But that's just me. Maybe I'm not liberal or sensitive enough.

1 comment:

Lori Heicher said...

The REAL question is "How did Santa come up with 'Ho Ho Ho'?" Was he fighting with Mrs. Santa and it stuck? The only thing crappier than my comment is the article itself and the accompaning thought process of said article. One bad article deserves an even worse comment.