100 Reasons to have a kid. 4 million not to.

100 Reasons to have a kid. 4 million not to.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

When you've just got to fight

Put this down into the annals of ridiculousness.

As anyone with kids will tell you, dear readers, having a kid(s) is hard/frustrating/thankless/etc (but still amazing...at times). Sometimes you have pent up frustration that you just want to get out. Last night both Jim and I were feeling a little squirrely and up for a good fight. But...we had nothing to fight about. Seriously, we've been getting on famously. But we were still itching for a good brawl. So what did we argue about? Chaucer. I wish I could say I was lying, but there it is. In a moment of desperation we argued about Chaucer.

It started like this - Jimmy was harassing me for my reading skills. I am a much faster reader than him, but unfortunately my years of grad school trained me to read only the "important" parts thereby skipping over a lot of detail. So we argued about whose method of reading was better. This then transitioned into me (like always) telling him that I've read much more difficult works than him, including Chaucer. He said he had read Chaucer in high school. Ha! I replied, I read it in college and wrote a paper on the feminist undertones of the Canterbury Tales.

Jim: "I don''t like the Canterbury Tales"
Me: "What?!? They are pretty darn good. I doubt you really read it.
Jim: I did, it's all one big fart joke.
Me: What?!?! It is so not!!
Jim: Yeah, here's a direct quote 'Then he put his butt in the air and farted. hahaha'
Me: You are so full of it. You've never actually read it.
Jim: You didn't read it. What's your favorite tale?
Me: The Wife of Bath
Jim: (silence)
Jim: I am so pissed at you!! How can you say that it's not a big fart joke?
Me: How can you say that it is?! You've never even read it obviously!! You probably read the English translation whereas I read the actual Old English version (I tend to get a little arrogant when arguing)
Jim: There is no english version! It's all Old English
Me: Oh my god! You have no idea what you are talking about!
Jim: I'm so pissed.
Me: I'm going to bed.

Crap, what has Buster done to us. Even our fights have gotten absurd (and more nerdy than I'd like to admit).

8 comments:

Jim said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fart

..."The word fart in Middle English occurs in Chaucer's "Miller's Tale" (one of the Canterbury Tales)"

Ema said...

Wow- I thought I was the only one who had arguments like this!

V for Vendetta!? I show it to my class EVERY semester as a way of showing revolutionary social change!

Georgiann said...

i miss you both. your stories are hilarious!

laurafingerson said...

That is awesome!! I love the dialog and your brilliance about reading it in Old English. John has read everything and knows everything and so I feel for poor Jim! ;)

KP said...

Legendary.

notasecretagent said...

And I was so proud of the argument John and I had about ponies versus miniature horses yesterday! You totally win.

(This is Jessie. I am nosy and came here from KP's blog. Yup.)

KP said...

I think a certain someone is shirking their blogging responsibilties!

Miss you guys!

(Also, can I vote for all 3 options in your poll?)

thumbelina881 said...

Aargh, Chaucer! That was soo long ago!! I swear you guys had this fight back when we were still in Amsler's class... :P