100 Reasons to have a kid. 4 million not to.

100 Reasons to have a kid. 4 million not to.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A glimpse into our evenings

Our evenings as a family are usually low-key. We go for walks, go to the playground, eat dinner together and talk. We talk a lot. So last night as we were finishing up dinner and talking our conversation led to...well...Buster's predilection for eating cat poop.

(Let me aside here for a moment - we do not have cat poop lying around but as anyone with cats knows sometimes the cats trail a little poop out of their box. We're good about catching it, but sometimes it slips by until we walk past and notice it. We are not dirty people or crazy cat people with poop everywhere. Back to the story...)

Buster has a sixth sense about if there happens to be a small turd near the litter box. We've talked with our doctor about this and he says it's a phase all kids go through and he'll eventually stop being so fascinated with cat poop. What I don't understand is how he thinks it tastes good. So the other day I'm reading a magazine in the living room and I notice it's quiet. Too quiet. I call for Buster. No response. I get up to investigate and there's Buster sitting by the litter box. "uh-oh" I think to myself. He's facing away from me. I still have hope that all is well. I turn him around and (I'll save you the nastiness) but all is definitely not well. I yell "GROSS!!" he starts to cry (because I took the poop away from him) and I run upstairs with him to give him toothpaste (despite the fact that babies are not supposed to have toothpaste because they can get flouride poisoning, but desperate times called for desperate measures).

Okay, so back to last night. This is our family dinner conversation:

Jimmy: "Buster, I always thought our first serious discussion would be the sex talk. I never imagined it would be about how you can't eat cat poop"

Buster: "bababa...mamamama..."

After this serious discussion he decided it would be great fun to throw the parmesan cheese around the table. He laughed so hard he threw up.

Ahhh...parenthood is fun.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

And he's not even one yet...just think of the stories you'll have to embarrass him with when he's older. Hehe.

Chetter said...

You are so right! I can't wait until he has friends over. Payback's a you know what :)

Anonymous said...

That is one of the greatest stories ever told.

Ema said...

Akkkkk! I thought my kids were bad when they ate the pet food. . .Blick, Buster!

Oh, btw, that sex talk? You will MISS the cat poop talk. . .no matter how tragically hip you feel (oh, and I felt HIP) it is the most awkward thing, ESPECIALLY when discussing things like condoms, oral sex, and well just about everything!

M

Georgiann said...

=)